Monday, January 05, 2004

Beyond Good and Evil

One of the reasons that the Lord of the Rings trilogy is so popular is the epic evil vs. good struggle. In real life, people attempt every day to reduce others to these polarized definitions of evil people and evil acts, and good people and good acts, and the varying levels of success that they have in acquiring the buy-in for these definitions seem to inform the way these individuals live their lives and leaders run their countries.

From my personal point of view, the US is not an evil country, but is a place from which many evil acts are performed and because of this I am mostly not proud to "be an American." I said as much to some fellow servers and my head was figuratively ripped off. So here I am, with no figurative head, speaking without a figurative voice, and still I maintain my opinion.

No comments: