Friday, February 20, 2004

Oh No, An Angry Feminist!

I've been reading THE BEAUTY MYTH. Good stuff. Yeah, and it's making me angry. An angry feminist. Although I am not always angry, I am always a feminist.

Anger point #1: Crunch Fitness' new ad campaign. 300 virgins (oh, I mean, elliptical machines) waiting for you to what? Rape them? As if we couldn't make enough connections between those ridiculous female beauty standards and sexual purity (a virgin is like a new stairmaster, step me up to heaven, please). And really, as if men needed yet another reason to go to the gym, or maintain any view that women are conquests and not human beings. "Yeah, dudes, I fucked her first, took her virginity and she liked it, I mean, what a good workout!"

Anger point #2: Meg Ryan in this month's issue of Jane. Come Meg, get over it. Yeah yeah, being in the limelight is tough. No privacy, life sucks. But demeaning a movement that has been nothing but a benefit to you and saying you didn't realize that sex sells, even yours, is a little shitty, or stupid, I don't know. Face it. You are a role model. I know the stereotype about shallow actors but do you have to fit it so perfectly?

Anger point #3: Jane magazine. I used to like it. I aspired to write for it. Now I fantasize about Bitch mag instead.

No comments: