Saturday, December 11, 2010

Getting My Money's Worth

This is what is called *getting my money's worth.*

It's cold and rainy outside, but not cold enough for the delightful waterproof winter boots I bought so I decided to wear my other boots. And sure enough, before I got the full four blocks to the train, my toesies were soaked to the skin with winter rain. I thought it might happen, but that it would be better than the sweaty hot feet that would eventually make my new waterproof boots smelly. I am not sure this is better now.

Oh the challenges of being a pedestrian in Chicago. Oh. Oh.

As far as getting my money's worth, I recently found a job worth applying for and since I have not had a chance to update my computer and/or fix it, I have had to find (again) creative ways to get access to a modern, working computer to update my resume and write cover letters. Sadly, today, this meant I was for the internet cafe, where I had to pay $21.95 for unlimited all-day use, or $18 for 2 hours. I knew I had about 2 hours of work in me, but would it be enough time? Would I end up feeling inspired and articulate, or just focused enough to tweak the changes and reset passwords and just think about writing? If I got inspired, I knew I would need more than 2 hours, but it is also Saturday night so why the H-E-double-hockey-sticks would I really want to spend more than 2 hours here?

But it's my future! So I invested the $21.95, which seems so steep when everywhere has free wi-fi. But I finished my changes, I DID feel inspired and wrote what I feel is a delightfully ok cover letter, and I was all ready to go about 2 hours and 35 minutes into it. Then I thought to myself, that's like $10 an hour to be on the internet. That feels yuck yuck. And I have no pointless internet surfing to do!

So I am blogging. That is my solution. I am hungry. My feet have been wet for about 4 hours now. (I went a bought a dress for Kiyos wedding next week before I came here) But I want it to be at least less than $10 an hour for me to be here in this quiet and dark cafe....staring at a white screen listening to the passing cars in the rain outside. If I stay another 22 minutes it will be $7 an hour.

Sigh. I really am postulating. I actually want to go home, make dinner and watch a movie. Actually I think I will do that.

Bye.

No comments: