Monday, June 03, 2013

The Awkwardness of Laughing at Death

So, as a former sales person, reporter, waitress and current producer, I have learned well the varied nuances of communication and listening skill that enables me to do my job well. I am not always very good at communicating or listening, but suffice it to say, if I set my mind to it, it can be done.

I am also very aware of my failings, my nervous fillers and bullshit fillers and in general, my go-to fall back phrases, that for the omniscient observer, or really intuitive friend, indicate that I am either NOT listening as well I should be, either because I don't understand something, it is hard to hear, or I have boldly and perhaps ignorantly decided that what you are currently saying has no bearing on what I need to move forward. I am a deeply flawed individual, my friend. I am working on it.

Sometimes I laugh to fill in the space, other times I say 'oh wow'. This has become an unfortunate habit with my current task of speaking daily to health and safety professionals who work in an indsutry where fatalities are very real. It is not uncommon for me to receive an email that states "I apologize, I cannot send XYZ because we are investigating a fatality that happened yesterday." And it is serious. And sobering. And yet, several times now I have been in conversation with these professionals and inadvertantly laughed. AT THE WRONG TIME. When they are talking about death. They have not yet seemed to mind, but I hope I can get that horrible habit of mine fixed before it's too late.

No comments: