Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Missed Opportunity

I moved into this neighborhood nearly 4 years ago and I still cannot stop singing it's praises, but sadly I have failed to take full advantage of some of it's more convenient conveniences.

I remember when I moved in being delighted in the to discover an Ace Hardware less than three blocks away-I remember going there to make spare keys once and discovering they had ever so much more than hardware! Much of what I needed around the house could be found at Ace, from laundry detergent to potato peelers, lamps to scotch tape and batteries, picture frames and more! But after learning this bit of useful information, I promptly forgot it. See, Ace is not on my way to the train station, it is in the other direction, which I only walk by on random occasion, when my mind is usually miles from scotch tape and detergent. Also, when I did walk by, it was always closed.

And inevitably, because Ace was not something I grew up on, my mind always turned to Walgreens or Target when I needed things like that anyway, so always I am going to these two places when Ace was always RIGHT THERE....and now...

A few weeks ago I walked by and there was a sign saying Ace was closing down!!! Also there were signs saying that there is 20-50% off every thing in the store. And in my unemployment you would think my mind would remember that and take note and yet I have been to Walgreens like three times since this whole discount opportunity has been right at my fingertips.

Gaowrsh.


In other news, as I walked to the coffee shop today I gazed at the beautiful storm cloud floating overhead to the southwest, and the patch of blue sky to the East, and the white clouds there all glowy with sunset. I pondered the storm cloud's deep greenish gray color and wondered why I wasn't more worried. Ten feet from the door of the coffee shop it burst and the heavy drops came down on my umbrella-less self and I thought, 'Perfect timing,' as I ran to the door and made my way inside....

No comments: