Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Oh McGraw...

Now here is a company that I interviewed with twice. A company that told me last time that they would love to have me on, but that they had to hire someone with more 'direct' experience. I had passed the editing tests. I had impressed and connected at the interview. This was more than 4 years ago now, and I am long over the pain of that rejection.

Now the editing path is no longer my path, and McGraw is no longer on my radar. So much so that it took me awhile to realize the book I have had in my possesion for the last several weeks is indeed the very type of book I would have been editing had I been hired that fateful day years and years ago.

It is a math book, created to help one succeed at the GRE and GMATs....and every OTHER page has an editing error. I am aghast. I am appalled. This book came out recently too. I am somewhat bitter AND content to know that whoever they hired to do that job is sadly, terrible at it. I would have done better. I do know that. Much better at catching all the errors. I hope someone has told them and they are frantically working to put out a new version, I just wonder at what cost?

Oh McGraw....

No comments: