Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Things I find interesting

I lived in Minnesota for 18 years. I have now lived in Chicagoland for 18 years. Interesting!

During my time here, several people I know have moved from Chicago to Minnesota. Interesting!

Many of these people have, at one time or another, been a decently good friend of mine, but at the time of their move, the friendship had drifted (amicably) apart. Interesting!

Every once in awhile, I go home to Minnesota to visit family. Not so interesting. When I do, these people come out of the woodwork. "Let's hang out for old time sake!! It will be soo fun!!"

I have to say no, because my very short calendar is already full with family events, and speedy catch-ups with childhood friends. I think in my mind, "Too bad, that would have been fun!" I even feel a little guilty. One of these friends in particular tries really hard to make me feel guilty and sad for saying no to her.

Then, inevitably, some period of time later, I see on Facebook that they have been visiting Chicago. Having all sorts of fun. Hanging out with friends, visiting family. I have not been asked by them to hang out. (Their calendar is full!) But why then, do they work so hard to make me feel guilty for doing the exact same thing when I come home?

Hmmmm. Human nature. The nature of lack of perspective. The nature of forgetting. The nature of self-centeredness. The nature of humans. Interesting.


No comments: