Friday, August 03, 2007

babies!

My apartment is not baby-proof. I knew that. But when Kayla came over I knew that I underestimated my own energy levels at keeping her away from items of interest. Last night Kayla (age: 17 months) came over while her Mom went to a birthday/benefit party. Mom left at 750, running late. After she teared up a bit at the disappearance of her mother, I made Kayla dinner (pizza and strawberries) and tried to get her to watch the Electric Company, which held her attention for approximately 3 minutes. She ate the strawberries and tried to clean up after herself, "Ah None!" she kept saying. (translation, Alll Done!) barely gripping the bowl as she tottered to the kitchen to put it away. Came back and kept opening her mouth wide to receive pizza that I was apparently supposed to put in her mouth, only to have her grin and say "HOTTT!" as she slobbered over half a bite and put it back on the plate. Then I watched her chase my frightened cat around the apartment while screeching-Addy was very disturbed. I watched her bang on my keyboard (recently re-acquired after 4 years on loan to someone) and I watched her try to turn on my tv, turn off my tv, turn on my tv, turn off my tv, and then try to destroy a DVD. I watched her attempt to play in the toilet, crawl on top of chairs, try to open the refrigerator, and huff and puff when she couldn’t do that. At one point she grabbed my bedroom trash bin and carried it around triumphantly for a bit, it was the same size as she was. I was running after her like a crazy woman. At some point I knew, just knew, it was time for Mommy to come back….and I looked at the clock, and it was 845. I had been running around for less than an hour!

Then I found out today an old best friend from high school is a few months pregnant as are other members of a very fond crew of mine from back in the day. Sigh.
To Moms all around, I salute you!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

funny thing is, i live with a cat who runs away from ME as if I'm 17 months old. i loved your description. i could picture it all.

kari

Unknown said...

wow. wesley doesn't do any of those things. he just sits quietly and reads....
...YEAH RIGHT!

they are a workout. no wonder i am in the best shape i've been in since highschool!

ElleG77 said...

that's funny genevieve! ah babies!

Andrew said...

HAHA! This post creates a hilarious mental picture. Seriously, though. How do moms do what they do?