Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Question on Costumes

I don't know quite when it started, perhaps way back when, when for several Halloweens in a row I was grounded, on restrictions, and not allowed to even dress up, much less go get all the candy, but at some point I developed a high standard of the holiday, and subconsciously concluded that I would try and take as much advantage of it in my adult life as possible. So much so that each year I fret and worry and wrack my brains all over the place trying to determine the 'perfect' costume. I am not a fanatic, I know enough of those to know I don't fit into that category.

As for costumes, I take a pass on sexy and have never been particularly interested in gory or scary. I am a supporter of witty or interesting. This year I am not sure that my idea falls into either category but it definitely will allow me to live out an only recently realized latent childhood fantasy....but I will get into that later. Or not.

When I was a child I believe I was a clown once, and a scarecrow-and I loved being the scarecrow because I thought I was the Michael Jackson scarecrow from The Wiz.

In college I once got the brilliant idea that I and three of my friends would dress as each of the four major elements, hopefully representing our actual astrological signs and everything. Unfortunately I did not have enough friends who thought that was cool. But I went out as FIRE and my friend Heather went out as WATER. We did realize while those two elements were fairly simple to concoct, AIR and EARTH, as different from each other, would have been more challenging so we were totally fine with our limited choices of friends to pull into the fold....no tears there.

I was Athena one year, my hair just the right length to make spikes of a sort all over my head. At least twice in the last 8 years I have been totally lame and put on a long pretty dress and called myself 'long pretty dress lady' or something of the sort. But my two ALL-TIME favorites were a capitalist pig and a sky scraper.

Check this out-I got a pig nose, tail and ears, top hat. Borrowed my friends 'waiting tables' tux and a bling bling plastic dollar sign necklace.

Then, as a sky scraper, dressed all in sky blue, carried around a paint scraper, and scraped myself all night. Sigh. Brings me to my question.

Can you ever repeat a costume? My thought is no but after trying to continually come up with ideas that work for me I wonder....can I revisit the pig after some time has passed? I would like to.

I bring all this up because I had been thinking about it, but then tonight something happened. I was leaving my chiro and walking to the internet cafe, when I came upon a glorious new and large HALLOWEEN store! I have actually been trying to find the bits and pieces to my idea for this year's costume for the last few weeks, mostly going online because I thought that at least one part of the costume could not be found in regular stores. I was wrong. Tonight I have made wonderful headway towards completing a costume that I thought I was going to have to give up on entirely.

Very excited. Now I just need a party to wear it to and some friends to enjoy it with. I hope I can get both. Because going to parties alone is sometimes kinda lonely, even when you know the people who are gonna be there.....

7 comments:

Ingrid said...

awww man, now u got me thinking. diana ross ala mahogony? jackie brown? naomi campbell? (i could carry around fake phones and throw them at people) hehe. Oh, or tyra banks/drag queen. they're interchangable. hahaha.

Anonymous said...

My friends and I dressed up as elements one year, too. I was air, and we had fire and water. It was good fun.

ElleG77 said...

oh no you didn't ingrid. oh wait, yes you did.

and sarah, that is fantastic! i think we have been secret friends without knowing it for years and years.....

Ingrid said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ingrid said...

now where do i find fake cell phones to throw at ppl? that is key!

Anonymous said...

We are having a party. And, as always, capitalist pigs are always welcome in our home.
Patrick

ElleG77 said...

yay! ingrid i may have an idea..