Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Morning Story

So this morning when I got out of bed I felt well-rested because I finally had the brilliant idea of shutting my door and keeping the air conditioner on so I couldn’t hear my slightly demanding cat meow at me through the night. Therefore I only snoozed once or twice before getting out of bed at 6:40am to get ready for work. Feeling chipper and only slightly regretful that I did not get up in time to go running, I started to tackle the disarray in my apartment. I put all my dirty clothes in a pile in the hallway for when I come home later. I washed some dishes that had been sitting there for a couple of days. I emptied the litter box and the garbage. All this while barefoot and as the clutter disappeared my heart felt lighter and lighter. At one point, while putting something away in the pantry, I stepped on something and heard a distinctive crack. Cringing, I looked down, wondering what delightful item I had broken with my bare feet. It was one of those plastic hanger thingys that you can get from Target and stick on your wall to hang things on. I had been using mine to hang the broom and mop, but humidity had long since helped this lone white piece to the floor.

Relieved it wasn’t something I valued a bit more, I continued on my morning duties. Looking at the clock I realized I had just enough time to shower and put together my volleyball stuff and possibly even make a lunch to bring to work. I jumped in the shower (who jumps in showers, really, though? I actually stepped quite gingerly into mine) and when I was done I began my after shower rituals of tooth brushing and lotion applying….and stepped on something in the bathroom and heard another distinctive crack. “Crap, what else could I possibly be breaking this morning?” I said to myself. Then I looked down and much to my disgust a very large, very dead spider sat in the spot my foot had just been.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

grossss! does addie ever kill bugs? my roommate's kitty plays with them for a while and then bites them in half.

kari