Wednesday, August 24, 2005

endless summer nights coming to an end.....

(Do I write too much about nothing?)

My arms are wide open trying to grasp at what I cannot hope to hold on to-- summer, in all it’s gloriousness is fading away. The leaves are already beginning to turn brown as the breeze blows across the sand rearranging the stamps of human existence. The children who played here earlier, running to and fro, throwing balls; and the men and women laying out, moving here and there to catch the best ray or to grab the bottle of water at their side; the volleyball players and dog walkers, all have left their own unique sand prints. All evidence of daytime lives blow away as the sun sinks slowly behind the skyscrapers and deep blue night settles resolutely over the world.

The lights in the buildings along the lakeshore cast another kind of warm glow over the beach, trying to reach the water but…….not…….quite…..getting……there, and the waves that caress the sand seem careless and clueless about the attempted merger. The water remains black at the shore and dusted with starlight further out. The moon has risen orange in the sky, large and luminous, creeping out above the water and shining in a fierce and hollow imitation of the sun it said goodbye to on the way up.

The air is cooler here than it was last week. The sidewalk adjacent to the sand is still full of people trying to make it home before night takes full hold--bikers, runners and bladers all sweating away their worries, and strollers like me hoping to crystallize the moment in eternity. Cars are whizzing by on LSD, their speed implying a deliberation and purpose I cannot mimic. And though the world around me hustles and bustles I am at one with the calm of the water. I am living now. I am living and breathing here and now. This moment, taken with surety, is mine to keep, forever in a corner in my mind. This is my life. These are my memories, my impressions. And now I share them with you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

beautiful...
we need people to capture in words the things we only sometimes notice.

kari